Friday, October 06, 2006

Progress report of sorts

Well I've started my life as a postgraduate student now. That's pretty exciting.

I think I am going to enjoy my course. It's largely research based with a taught part totalling about one third of the total marks. This is good because the taught part covers thinking from a number of European countries giving me a broader base to my knowledge than I ever gained in my undergraduate degree. My research will still be focussing only on German authors but I hope my new broader perspective will mean I see their work in a different way. Very exciting! (Well, if you're me at least it is.)

More negatively we still haven't found anywhere to live, this is getting more than faintly irritating now. Since I've been up in Birmingham I've taken over the traipsing around to all the viewing appointments from the poor old boyfriend. All we've seen though are either places which are completely disgusting or places where people beat us to filling in their applications. I am trying to stay positive and optimistic but it's certainly getting harder now...

There's already an appointment lined up for Monday, fingers crossed that this one works out!

On the knitting front things are crawling along. I finished the first of my RPM socks while I was still down in London and even started the second sock. The project made the journey up to Brum with me but hasn't even made it out of my bag yet as I've been so busy. The weekend looks like the ideal time to relax after a stressful week and knit a good few rounds of sock number 2. More to look forward to - who said optimism was dying out (oh wait, that was me!).

No comments: