Monday, July 16, 2007

Has anyone seen a weekend?

What happened to the weekend? It seemed to flash by so quickly I barely noticed its presence! Anyway, although it is a day late, here is the promised knitting update:

One and a half socks

I now have one complete Falling in Love sock for Sockapalooza 4 as well as one sock knitted up as far as the heel. I haven't worked on these since I was in Croatia but I shouldn't have any trouble finishing the second sock before the deadline.

I added 2x2 ribbing to the cuff of the first sock and used the sewn bind off as inspired by Knit-Nurse but I'm still a bit concerned about the sock being difficult to get on to the foot. It did fit over my heel (my feet are not that dissimilar in size to my pal's barring foot length) but with a fair bit of tugging - what if it doesn't fit my pal? Eeek! I'm trying to think of ways to lessen the problem but I'm not sure what to do for the best... should I undo the ribbing and just knit another lace repeat and then bind off? Or how about 1x1 ribbing - would that be any stretchier? Or will a damn good blocking sort the problem out? Anyone have any thoughts on a possible solution? It's not the worst problem in the world, it doesn't render the socks completely unwearable but perhaps it would be better if things were a little less tight...

Sunny Lombard Street

The Lombard Street socks didn't see any action until I got home from Croatia but I've been quite enjoying knitting them so far and they are getting along quite quickly. I will probably finish this first one and then return to the Sockapalooza socks before starting the second Lombard Street.

Things have already progressed since the photo I'm posting here, I have finished the gusset decreases and am heading for the toe. The Lombard Streets have a flap heel and I think I have managed to make my personal best heel on the first sock, it looks so neat and tidy and with not much in the way of unsightly holes - in the pattern the designer notes that it is better to put the instep stitches on hold on waste yarn whilst working the heel flap (as opposed to leaving them on one or two spare DPNs) as this will mean less of a hole at the corners of the heel. I'm certainly impressed with the way that tip seems to have paid off - who would have thought something so simple could make such a difference? I'll have to try it on some other socks and see if it yields the same results.

Anyhow, that's quite enough rambling for now, but, regardless of rambling, yay for knitting content! Hopefully my next post will be just as on-topic!

2 comments:

Knit Nurse said...

Sorry to hear about the slightly tight cuff - another suggestion would be just to frog the ribbing and do it again on slightly larger needles. A one by one ribbing would definitely be looser too - it's the bits where you move the yarn back and forward between the knits and purls that make the stretchiness of ribbing, and with one by one you will have twice as many as with two by two...although natch you will need more yarn, could be a pain if you've already cut the end. I may try the waste yarn tip for the instep stitches, sounds good, although I have been much better at heels recently (going toe-up helps too..!)

Kath said...

Sorry to hear of the tight socks. My Jaywalkers were tight and were ok untill they shrunk just the tiniest amount making them even more of a pain to get on the foot! Both socks look lovely anyway and the holiday snaps are beautiful - another place to add to the ever growing list!